Cliché. I KNOW.
But with 2018 right around the corner, I feel like it’s time to really start being a goal digger. In my opinion there has never been anything wrong with a person showing some ambition, and making the effort to be the best possible version of themselves. And for most, that first day of a new year just seems like the perfect opportunity to initiate those changes. It feels something like a fresh start. New year. New slate. New me. In my opinion, the people who belittle those who are motivated to make changes in the new year, should also set a goal to BE MORE KIND.
Every new year resolution tends to be the same for me; I WILL LOSE MORE WEIGHT. Would I like to lose weight? Yes. And in a way, I suppose weight loss is something that will hopefully be the outcome from another goal. But, I feel like this year I need to work towards something a little more meaningful, and a little less superficial. As a matter of fact, spending too much time worrying about my BMI is probably a good thing to specifically NOT work towards this year. So I thought about things that I tell myself I “wish I did”, or things that I envy and idolize others for. THAT is what I need to work towards this year. In 2018 I have intentions to better myself as a person, and to make myself proud. This is what I have come up with so far for my New Year, New Me Bucket List.
- Be someone who people want to be around. More positivity, less judgment. This is another “goal” that I tend to try almost every year. I always start out strong, but after a few months I revert right back to my old self. I guess this all starts on the inside. How I see myself reflects a lot on how I act around others. If I am constantly putting myself down, how can I possibly have the energy to be positive on the outside? I feel completely motivated this year to change my way of thinking. I am no longer going to bully myself. I am hoping that a change of inner positivity will shine outward, and I can share that eagerness with others. One of my biggest “pet peeves” of myself that needs to stop is being so quick to judge others. You never know what battle someone else is fighting, and you certainly cannot read a book by its cover. I plan to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, unless proven otherwise. It would also be a nice achievement to attempt to do one nice thing for a stranger every day. It’s amazing how it can actually make YOU feel better in the process!
- Show more gratitude. I stress this as much as I can in each of my blogs. I am so very thankful for every single thing in my life. I have been so blessed to have the people, opportunities, and (decent) health that I have been given, and I need to work harder to show that gratitude. I plan to try contributing more of my time volunteering to help people (and animals) who are less fortunate. I am going to workout harder, because my body that never lets me down, deserves it. I will spend more time with my friends and family, instead of having my nose in my phone. And I will do my best to see the positive in each and every day.
- Continue to work towards a healthy lifestyle. For me, this is all aspects of life. I plan to continue learning about nutrition and using that knowledge daily. I want to fuel my body with good, clean, foods, and to maintain my (several times) weekly visits to the gym. I plan to start some fun classes, maybe Zumba or Kickboxing, and spend as much time outside as possible. Maine is SO beautiful, and I need to take advantage of it! Aside from the physical part, I also want to work on myself mentally. Yes I need to work on being kinder to others, but I also have to put effort into being kinder to myself. I plan to continue working on my battle with self-love and to not be so dang hard on myself.
- Stop procrastinating!! I am seriously the worst. If I am not scrambling to do something at the last second, then something is seriously wrong. Whether it be waiting too long to get out of bed in the morning, or saving my 6 page paper to start writing the day that it’s due, you can bet that I am guilty of it. I HATE rushing, yet I constantly add the unneeded stress to my life on a daily basis. This is definitely something I need to put effort into changing, one small task at a time.
- Try new things and find a hobby. There are so many things that I am just dying to try. Taking lessons to play an instrument (violin, ahhh!), taking up yoga, trying rock climbing, learning how to knit. Instead of spending time in front of the t.v. watching other people with these hobbies, I need to get out there and try them myself!
- Get rid of junk. Cluttered house, cluttered mind. UGH. This one. Over the years I feel like I have just accumulated so much crap. I mean, why on EARTH do I need 3 vacuums, every single Christmas card since 1999, and boxes of clothes that don’t fit me and never will. Easy answer, I don’t. The clutter in my house actually makes me kind of nuts. It’s not like you walk in my house and see a mess, it’s hidden. In closets, on shelves in the basement, and my craft room… GOOD LORD. It all has to go. And 2018 is the perfect time to get rid of it.
- Save money instead of buying things I don’t need (avoiding said junk listed above). I have a serious issue of purchases I don’t need. Granted I pay all of my bills and put money in my savings each week, but I still have a weakness for buying things that are a “good deal”. For example… Clothes that are two sizes too small, because I’ll fit into them someday? Yeah, that’s got to stop. Besides, I am going to need that extra money for when me and Mike become parents, which WILL happen.
- Become a morning person… or at least try to! As I mentioned above, I am so over rushing around. Besides, being in a scramble first thing in the morning is no way to start my day. Not only does it set a bad tone for my day, but it stresses my dog out that has MAJOR separation anxiety. My goal for 2018 is to be more productive before work, and to hit snooze less ( I could say stop hitting snooze all together, but my goals have to be somewhat obtainable).
- Stop stressing about things I have absolutely no control over. This is one of the most important goals for me to reach. I need to learn how to let things go that I have no control over. Yes, I can worry myself sick about my PCOS, whether or not I’ll ever be a parent, or that I am still 40 pounds over weight, or I can choose to work on my issues and accept the things I cannot change. I need to evaluate all situations and try to find the positive in each of them. At the end of the day I just need to know I tried my best, and gave it my all.
2018 is going to be an awesome year, and I have SO many wonderful things to look forward to. I get to marry my soul mate and take the last name of one of the biggest-hearted people I have ever met. We get to go on not one, but TWO honeymoons that I am immensely looking forward to. We get to try again, to expand our family, which will hopefully be a success. And I get to work hard at achieving as many as my listed goals as possible. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us!
What are you all looking forward to this year? Have you set any goals for yourself?
Follow my blog to help spread awareness! <3